Cannabidiol (CBD), the natural and non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant, is being used for a myriad of reasons. Research indicates that CBD has the potential to reduce anxiety, acne, and prevent the proliferation of cancer cells. including reducing anxiety, acne, and proliferation of cancer cells.
Perhaps you have heard of CBD as an excellent pain management supplement, but do you know how the beneficial compound reduces physical pain like muscle strains and headaches?
In this article, we will explain how CBD interacts with the body to produce pain-relieving effects, and why CBD is a better, natural substitute for other pain relievers.
This post will also cover the various forms of pain that individuals are aiming to ease. CBD has been known to help with pain from arthritis, endometriosis, migraines, and other forms of chronic pain.
What is Chronic Pain?
Chronic pain is pain that lasts for several months at a time. In severe cases, chronic pain can last for several years, or the entirety of someones life. Instances of chronic pain affect more than 3 million people in the Unites States. Chronic pain can be very frustrating for individuals, and can easily get in the way of living everyday life. The persistent agitation is common in the lower back, neck, hands and feet, and is the result of inflammation or dysfunctional nerves.
There is no cure for chronic pain, but there are several different treatment methods. Common methods include strong medication, acupuncture, cognitive behavioral therapy, surgery, and even electrical stimulation. CBD has been recently added to this list as more information arises.
Many medications, such as opioids, are described as narcotics. The risk for addiction from these drugs is quite high, and ugly side effects are common. Even over-the-counter pain relieves, such as Aspirin and Ibuprofen, can be dangerous when used regularly.
Consumers want relief from their pain, and they want it relieved as naturally as possible. This is the huge appeal of CBD pain products.
Those suffering from chronic pain are becoming tired of traditional medications because they are not providing them with beneficial results. The search for other, safer, ways of managing pain has become important for those with chronic pain. Because CBD is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, it only makes sense that the beneficial compound is effective in reducing pain from arthritis and endometriosis.
Examples of Chronic Pain and How CBD Can Help
Below is an overview of the common applications for using CBD as a natural pain remedy, in addition to how the cannabinoid’s properties relieve different types of pain.
Arthritis is the leading cause of disability in the United States, affecting over 50 million Americans. Now, those suffering from arthritis may use CBD as a natural supplement for quick relief from the rehabilitating pain.
Most studies so far have been conducted on animals, but human studies on the matter do exist and are currently being further researched. Here are a few examples of CBD as an arthritis treatment, these studies indicate that the therapeutic cannabinoid may be the answer to chronic pain:
- A 2011 study from the European Journal of Pain concluded that CBD could help people with arthritis manage their pain much more effectively. Researchers applied a topical gel containing CBD to rats with arthritis for four days. After those four days, there was a significant drop in inflammation and signs of pain with no additional side effects.
- A study from 2006: The very first controlled trial to evaluate the use of cannabis-based medicine (CBD along with other cannabis compounds) to treat arthritis occurred in 2006, where researchers concluded that after five weeks of use, the cannabis-based medication (called Sativex) reduced inflammation and significantly improved pain. Participants of this study also reported better quality of sleep.
CBD interacts with role-playing cannabinoid receptors in the Endocannabinoid System (ECS), the essential system in our bodies that works to promote and maintain homeostasis. In combination with CBD, the ECS can reduce the pain and effects of inflammation.
Specific cannabinoids can play an important role in our immune systems. Arthritis is connected to our immune system and joint tissue; this relationship could potentially explain why CBD works so well to treat symptoms of arthritis. Furthermore, CBD’s anti-inflammatory effects could potentially slow down or stop the progression of arthritis.
Endometriosis is a disorder found in females (usually of childbearing age) where tissue that normally lines the uterus, and grows outside of the uterus. This tissue is often found on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, or the intestines.
This irregularity can cause extreme pain and discomfort during a woman’s menstrual period, and can have unwanted symptoms such as nausea, constipation, and pain during sexual intercourse.
CBD has been found to help endometriosis patients because it targets the two most unbearable components, chronic pain and inflammation.
Endometriosis has been linked to an endocannabinoid deficiency, a probable explanation for why CBD helps ease endometriosis pain. The cannabinoid works to block pain receptors in the body through its affinity with the Endocannabinoid System.
Migraines can result in some pretty excruciating pain. Migraines go way beyond a typical stress or sugar crash headache, lasting anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Small environmental factors, such as noise and light can even add to the throbbing pain.
While more research on the use of CBD for migraines needs to be done, some lab studies have suggested that the cannabinoid may help diminish migraine pain significantly.
Here is an example of a 2017 study published in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, which explored the positive effects of CBD (in combination with other cannabis compounds):
- Over the course of six months, 26 people who experienced headaches caused by medication overuse took either ibuprofen or nabilone with oral cannabis to treat their symptoms. After eight weeks of this rendition, participants taking the nabilone with oral cannabis reported pain improvement and better quality of life.
- CBD can provide relief for a majority of chronic pain, including pain from arthritis, migraines, endometriosis, and more.
- CBD has the potential to replace traditional methods of treatment for different types of pain.
- CBD works with the receptors in the Endocannabinoid system (ECS) to promote good health and proper homeostasis.
- CBD is non-psychoactive, and will not produce the “high” that users experience when they consume cannabis.
Although more long-term, human research is being conducted to confirm CBD as an effective chronic pain reliever, the cannabis-derivative is shaping up to be a valid and versatile treatment for many forms of chronic pain.
Daintri’s focus is on health and wellness. We curate only the best of the best CBD products to help you live your healthiest life. Daintri offers a wide variety of CBD products for all types of consumers including CBD oil, tinctures, edibles, vapes, beauty products, pet products and more. If there are any questions about products, manufacturing processes or extraction methods, please let us know. We are on a mission to help as many people as possible with their health ailments.